What is a motivational nutritionist, anyway?

In 2017 I graduated with my Masters of Science in Applied Clinical Nutrition (MSACN). In a world of all sorts of conflicting nutritional information, I really wanted the letters behind my name that meant I knew something about the subject, more than whatever health coach or certified-because-they-took-a-two-week-course or whatever the latest flavor of wellness expert happens to be. I had been a health coach before, and I knew it took no expertise at all to help someone along their way towards a better life. I have always greatly respected education and those who've taken the time to know the subject they are teaching. In order to respect myself, then, I had to do the thing. I had to become knowledgeable.

But do you know what else I've learned? Expertise means nothing unless the motivation is there to drive a person to use that expertise. I can bore you with all sorts of reasons why you should drink more water, eat less sugar, eat your veggies, get more exercise, blah, blah, blah. You've heard it before. Does any of that inspire you to go out and DO it? No! Of course not.

In 2018 the FDA made a new law that all restaurants need to post the nutritional information of their foods for consumers. The law had been proposed in 2014 and many places hopped on board early. As an example, McDonald's started posting their calorie content right on their menus in 2012. Has seeing that a Big Mac meal has over 1,000 calories decreased their sales at all? No. Cold hard facts really don't motivate.

People don't choose to consume junk foods based on nutritional content. They do it because it's comforting or they're addicted (eventually I'll do a whole blog post on addictiveness of foods, but for now suffice it to say that it's a real thing) or they just want it or there's societal pressure. How can you possibly combat the instant gratification of enjoying your favorite sweet or salty treat when you really really want it, even if it doesn't align with with your long-term goals? In a word: motivation.

Oh believe me. I KNOW the struggle. I didn't get to be a couple of hundred pounds overweight because I did or didn't know the nutritional values in food. Even as a teenager I knew more about calories and nutritional content of foods and how to lose weight than the average person. Knowing the cold hard facts just isn't enough! I've joked for years that if you want to know how to lose weight, ask a heavy person. We know all the tips and tricks. But how do you transform that knowledge into real results? How do you create motivation that carries you on through the immediate desire for unhealthy foods so that you're successful long term?

It really is all about your motivation. And yes, you might be motivated to lose weight. But what KIND of motivation also matters. It's not enough to just want to lose weight. If wanting was enough, boy, I'd be a skinny minnie long before now. The desire is there. It always has been. But the only times I've been truly successful in long term weight loss is when my motivation and desires have been positive.

There are basically two types of motivation: positive and negative. You've heard the expression "you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar" (a bit of a misnomer, but I digress), but for the sake of this conversation, it's true. If you are driven by positive motivation, nothing will stop you. Positive motivation is all about the things that you desire to have or do if you lose the weight. Negative motivation is the drive that comes from fear, anger, or dislike. If you're driven by negative motivation, you might succeed for a little while, but in the end you'll find yourself unraveling and stopping. 

I'll talk more about the different types of motivation in another post. There's a lot to cover about them, and it's a subject I am passionate about. I'll return to it over and over again. That's what makes me a stand-out from other nutritionists. Yes, I can give you the information you need to optimize your nutrition. In fact, as a clinical nutritionist, I know it's not only about nutrition, but also about the other factors in your life that affect your health, and I will address those things as well. But that's where most nutritionists will stop. Cold hard facts. Do this, don't do that. But what is the value in that if you're not motivated as well? The KIND of motivation really does matter!

That's where I step in. Not only do I focus on nutrition and the various aspects of wellness, but I work with people to find the right kind of motivation to keep them going. Like nutrition, motivation is not one size fits all. Your motivation is unique unto you. But there are tricks to finding it and keeping it sustainable for you.

Maybe you're not one who wants a cheerleader in your court, and that's fine. There are plenty of people in the world who will only give you the facts. Go seek them out. But if you're one who struggles with motivation, who needs a cheerleader AND a nutritionist, who wants someone in their corner, then baby, I'm for you. I want so much for you to have the life you want. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. If you WANT to dream it but have given up hope, there's still hope for you! You have it within you to make the changes you want to make! You absolutely do! And I so want to help you see it for yourself.

You are remarkable. You are special. You are valuable. Yes. YOU. You are SO worth the investment in yourself. You have a dream. Maybe it's dusty and you haven't taken it out in a while. Maybe you're more than ready to get started and are full of energy to get going. It doesn't matter where you are in your journey. There is absolutely hope for you... young, old, sick, healthy, broken, whole... wherever you are in your current situation, there is hope for you. Come as you are. I am so excited to have you joining me.

Much love,


Anne

Comments

Popular Posts